The Netflix Spotlight: “Ugly Scrumptious,” Season 2
What’s up: Netflix’s “Ugly Scrumptious” is a meals and journey present hosted by chef David Chang.
Chang highlights numerous cuisines that he thinks don’t get sufficient credit score. He pairs with celeb buddies, then eats the meals and explains their deserves.
The way it begins: Chang makes use of recorded video and audio to recreate an emotional second: him and his spouse telling their dad and mom that they’re having a child. This private story serves because the launch level for an episode about parenting whereas working within the grueling restaurant enterprise.
Sum-up: I’m a giant fan of Chang’s podcast, “The Dave Chang Present.” On that, he balances speaking about his private life, cooking suggestions and interviews with profitable individuals who have unconventional concepts.
“Ugly Scrumptious” has the same format, because it balances the common attraction of meals and journey with celebrating the underrated.
Sadly, “Ugly Scrumptious” not often rises to the distinctive and very important heights of the podcast. Most of “Ugly Scrumptious” mirrors the pretty commonplace meals and journey present format. All of those exhibits have an inherent voice saying time and again, “It is best to actually do this!” And this present does the identical.
That mentioned, “Ugly Scrumptious” does a commendable job in making a case for the cultures it champions. Chang enlists an extended checklist of credible voices ― from writers to cooks to celebrities ― on every matter he covers.
Though I may be dissatisfied the present isn’t nearly as good as one thing else Chang places out into the world, that evaluation is predicated on my very excessive private expectations. For these unfamiliar with Chang, I believe this present could have rather a lot to supply.
Heads up: The primary episode facilities round parenting whereas working within the restaurant enterprise. It additionally focuses closely on Chang’s internal turmoil as he worries about changing into a very good father. It’s candy to the purpose that it’s saccharine. It’s additionally a fairly unoriginal have a look at the joy round changing into a first-time guardian.
The episode has high quality moments that concentrate on interviews with different cooks who juggled cooking with parenting. However the episode runs almost an hour when it ought to have been half that.
Chang is worked up to share this vital second in his life. And it’s admirable at any time when a creator tells a extra private story. However the story of latest dad and mom being excited for youngsters is among the oldest in human historical past, and the episode treats the scenario as novel. This episode may have been the season nearer, however I believe this will likely be a turn-off to these simply testing the present.
I used to be delighted to see that the second episode will get again on observe. Sadly, the season is simply 4 episodes, making the premiere 1 / 4 of the fabric.
Shut-up: Within the second episode, Chang travels to Mumbai with Aziz Ansari. At a market with a neighborhood meals author, they style brief, candy sort of banana. The meals author tells them that longer bananas are bred for American consumption and are a worse product.
After tasting the shorter banana, each Chang and Ansari joke about not being certain what to imagine: Is that this shorter banana really higher? Or is championing it extra of a neighborhood pleasure factor?
The present then cuts to an in depth animation involving bananas with faces. By means of narration over the animation, the present provides a historical past of banana manufacturing and commerce all through the world.
Chang shouldn’t be afraid to say when he thinks one thing may be BS, even when he’s ostensibly celebrating the fabric. On this second, the present does a gentle job of oscillating between the journey, meals, comedy and informational parts of the venture.
Historical past: Chang opened his first restaurant, Momofuku Noodle Bar, in 2004. The Momofuku firm has mentioned the time period means “fortunate peach.” However the inventor of instantaneous noodles, Momofuku Ando, additionally shares the identify.
Comparable tales: “Ugly Scrumptious” loosely follows the construction of meals and journey exhibits that embrace a number and a buddy experiencing cultures world wide. Anthony Bourdain’s exhibits are definitely an affect.
The characters and cash: As this can be a docu-series, there aren’t any characters. However I’m leaving this class as a result of the present makes brings up cash many times. Chang usually asks why eating places can’t cost extra for these meals, in comparison with, say, Italian. Chang needs different meals to be valued extra.
Bonus: Chang appeared on “The Late Present” to speak with Stephen Colbert earlier this week. You may watch the interview right here:
A Couple Of Netflix Information Tales From This Week
1. The Obamas, Netflix and the Russo brothers are teaming up for a film adaptation of the e-book “Exit West.” Riz Ahmed will star on this story a couple of world refugee disaster. President Barack Obama featured the e-book on his annual studying checklist in 2017.
2. “Saturday Evening Stay” parodied the favored Netflix present “Love Is Blind” final weekend. Though the sketch didn’t make it to air, the present launched the sketch on YouTube. Right here’s the video:
And listed below are the exhibits and flicks that joined Netflix lately:
- “At all times a Bridesmaid”
- “Past the Mat”
- “Cop Out”
- “Corpse Bride”
- “Donnie Brasco”
- “Freedom Writers”
- “Ghosts of Girlfriends Previous”
- “The Present”
- “Go! Go! Cory Carson” (Season 2, Netflix Household)
- “He’s Simply Not That Into You”
- “The Interview”
- “Kung Fu Panda 2”
- “Lemony Snicket’s A Collection of Unlucky Occasions”
- “Life as We Know It”
- “Looney Tunes: Again in Motion”
- “Resident Evil: Apocalypse”
- “Resident Evil: Extinction”
- “Richie Wealthy”
- “The Shawshank Redemption”
- “House Jam”
- The Story of God with Morgan Freeman” (Season 3)
- “There Will Be Blood”
- “Valentine’s Day”
- “Velvet Colección: Grand Finale”
- “ZZ High: That Little Ol’ Band from Texas”
- “Taylor Tomlinson: Quarter-Life Disaster” (Netflix Comedy Particular)
- “Lil Peep: All people’s All the things”
- “Castlevania” (Season 3, Netflix Anime)
- “Mighty Little Bheem: Pageant of Colours” (Netflix Household)
- “Responsible” (Netflix Movie)
- “I Am Jonas” (Netflix Movie)
- “Paradise PD” (Half 2, Netflix Unique)
- “The Protector” (Season 3, Netflix Unique)
- “Spenser Confidential” (Netflix Movie)
- “Twin Murders: The Silence of the White Metropolis” (Netflix Movie)
- “Ugly Scrumptious” (Season 2, Netflix Documentary)